KAMBRIA – An introduction of Kambria Ocean Cleanup Robot DAO with water pollution insights, robotics solution, partnership invitations and DAO timeline. (Last updated: Sep 14, 2023)
Environmental pollution is the next problem we would like to call for our technology community to solve, with the formation of Ocean Cleanup Robot DAO to Accelerate Towards The Circular Economy.
In this article, we would like to introduce an overview about this DAO. If this resonates with you, join us to be a part of this social impact.
|Co-owning technology via Kambria DAOs|
A DAO (Decentralized Autonomous Organization) is a community using blockchain to facilitate decentralized autonomy. The control is spread out among all community members who use governance tokens to vote on DAO’s rules or changes, voting power is equivalent to the number of tokens they possess. By this, we can empower the community with trust, transparency, and automation, and enable open-source solutions to be commercialized by their community.
Each Kambria DAO is started by a Dev Team submitting their proposal with a solution of technology they can develop and open for the community to co-own. The community collectively buys into the solution by participating in the DAO. Then Dev Team starts to develop the solution and the development progress will be managed monthly.The DAO as owners of the solution will decide and contribute to the commercialization of the solution, as well as get revenue sharing for their contribution.
Please check this page for a more detailed model and FAQs of Kambria DAOs.
Why Ocean Cleanup Robot?
Why should we care?
Here are some of the facts we have found in our research which motivate us to take action.
- The accumulation of waste and garbage can produce harmful gasses which can lead to air and water pollution which can cause various diseases. Thousands of maritime species meet their end every year entangled by the waste. Others eat it and are then eaten in return until microplastics end up in humans. That’s why water sources must be protected at all costs, and the best way is to collect trash.
- Beaches are the most exposed to waste. Annually 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into the sea and only 9% is recycled. Asia Pacific region is responsible for over 80% of all global plastic waste emitted to the ocean.
- There will be more plastic waste in the oceans than fish by 2050. The European Commission considers plastic waste management as one of the seven areas to achieve a circular economy by 2050.
Water sources must be protected at all costs, and the best way is to collect trash (Photo: Internet)
What can we do?
Waste collection is an essential job in keeping the environment clean and keeping humans and animals safe. But it is also one of the most dangerous jobs that sooner or later robots are going to replace the human workers.
And this is where Kambria and our technology community can contribute.
Ocean Cleanup Robot – Suggested features
So how can we build a robot to help with the ocean cleanup work? From our research of current solutions in the market, we suggest the ocean cleanup robot innovative solutions to have features such as:
- Cleaning waste on the beach or water surface
- Remote-controlled or autonomous
- Obstacle avoidance
- Prevent vandalism and malicious actors
- Preserve the fauna and does not aggravate the phenomenon of erosion (no compaction of the sand)
- Gamification, community-oriented
- Trash identification and data collection
eBot: beach cleaning robot by Niteko and The Searial Cleaners
PixieDrone: floating waste collector by Ranmarine and The Searial Cleaners
Trashbot: Urban River made this an interactive experience (game) by linking the “Trashbot” to their website and letting anyone, anywhere, help clean up the trash in the Chicago River.
Clearbot: Open Ocean Engineering uses an AI camera system for trash identification and data collection to help marine authorities to stem the tide of plastic pollution at its source.
The Ocean Cleanup Robot DAO (OCRD)
Our approach to build the DAO is to partner with the Dev Teams experienced in R&D this solution, as well as the Service Partners experienced in doing the ocean cleanup services.
Phase 1: Develop an ocean cleanup robot solution
Phase 2: Implement the solution by introducing it to Ocean Cleanup Service Partners (OCSP) to buy or rent as an alternative method. The DAO will also run donation campaigns in which supporters will buy the robots to donate to OCSP.
Phase 3: Create community movement with OCRD Gamification, such as:
- Reward DAO members with LP tokens for running donation campaigns
- Reward supporters with an NFT representing their robot, and credits for the contribution of their robot
- Reward ocean warriors (robots’ remote operators) with DAO LP tokens for their works, and sharing their stories to the community.
Phase 4: Speed up the work via the community. Ocean warriors at each country can team up to implement cleanup service at local, and the DAO will award Annual Global Prizes for best teams.
To Dev Teams
If you are experienced in R&D an ocean trash collecting robot or similar solutions, and interested in collaborating with OCRD as Dev Team Partner to develop the solution, please submit your proposal by the timeline here to demonstrate how you should be selected to develop this solution.
The proposal should show:
- Team profiles and relevant experiences
- Introduction of your solution such as ideation, market research, prototypes and demos…
- Development plan until the solution is ready for commercialization (MVP+) in the 1st product cycle. Note that the development progress will be managed monthly as per Kambria DAO model
From our fundraising experiences, we updated our qualification criteria to align with expectations of potential investors, including:
- The teams already have prototypes to prove technical feasibility of your robotics concept
- Your development plan is within 6 months to MVP, then the DAO community will join hands to bring it to market
- Your quotation (1st product cycle) is up to $150.000, including prototype development work.
Please note that this partnership has the potential for long-term collaboration spanning multiple product cycles, contingent upon the success of each cycle.
To Ocean Cleanup Service Partners
If you are experienced in doing ocean cleanup service, and interested in collaborating with OCRD as Ocean Cleanup Service Partners, we would love to have your participation in the solution development phase, to survey your needs for the solution as well as collaborate to test the solution in the pilot phase.
Then in the commercialization phase, we can collaborate to implement the ocean cleanup service using these robots.
To Fund Contributors
Some financial information we would like to highlight for your reference:
- The global recycled ocean plastics market size was valued at USD 1.55 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 7.4% from 2022 to 2030. It is quickly expanding as numerous non-profit groups and government agencies develop and scale up the technology to clear the seas of plastic.
- The Asia Pacific region dominated the market and accounted for more than 44.3% share of the global revenue in 2021.
- All available sources of financing, including development aid, are mobilised to help low and middle-income countries meet estimated costs of EUR 25 billion a year to improve global waste management infrastructure.
- With reference to the cost structure of tech companies especially robotics companies, we define the DAO financial framework as below (for more information about Kambria DAOs financial framework, governance model and fundraising campaigns please read here):
To Community Partners
Some potential collaborations we would like to propose:
- Raising public awareness: We can cross-share ocean cleanup actions among our communities. We can also co-organize activities to raise awareness such as donation campaigns, Ocean cleanup days….
- OCRD Hubs: Community Partner will lead the DAO community in your Hub to participate in the solution commercialization and get paid for the Hub’s contribution
If you have any additional collaboration ideas, please share with us at email@example.com.
International Coastal Cleanup, Oceanic Society, Ocean Purpose Project… are the projects dedicated to community ocean cleanups that we would love to collaborate with.
Join us if this cause resonates with you and you want to be a part of this social impact.
Please follow the DAO timeline and upcoming milestones here: https://kambria.io/dao/ocean-cleanup-robot/. Don’t miss our upcoming event and stay connected with the latest through our active Discord community on Kambria.
Proposal invitation for new DAOs: Open Tech for Future Society
Last but not least, we would like to take this chance to invite you to submit proposals for other DAOs. Not only current DAOs with robotics solutions set by Kambria, but also the new DAOs with solutions in other deep tech verticals that you are working on R&D and want the community to join hands.
If you are interested, please join our Discord community to stay informed about the announcement to be released soon.