Kambria is an open innovation platform that enables and incentivizes collaborations in R&D, manufacturing, and commercialization of advanced technology. Our first vertical is AI and robotics applications. Kambria contains protocols uniquely designed with blockchain and crypto-economics to address the current waste and inefficiencies plaguing today’s innovation model. Kambria has an elegant “micro-licensing” system to ensure that commercialization is easy and predictable. Anyone, from big companies to startups to individual entrepreneurs, can license out any portion of the technology stack without the burden of legal paperwork and negotiations. Simultaneously, smart contracts ensure that licensing fees are attributed fairly and in a transparent manner.
The Kambria protocol spans across three key areas:
- Governance: Token holders can stake their tokens to elect a set of experts who will help with governance as well as the growth of the “technology trees” on Kambria.
- Attribution: Contributions into Kambria will be evaluated automatically so that attributions will be rewarded fairly.
- Protection: Community can collectively ensure licensing agreements are upheld by partners.
Interactions on the platform are facilitated by the Kambria Token (KAT). Corporations can set up challenges to address technology roadblocks and award prizes. Manufacturers earn tokens through the production of robots and robotic parts. Universities can receive tokens for completing work that is commissioned by bounty challenges. Individual or teams are rewarded with tokens for designs or code they contribute. Community members use tokens to promote specific projects and fundraise for legal protection of the shared technology. Tokens can also be used to fairly capture the value created by the Kambria platform and sustain the growing community.
A technical challenge, financial shortcoming or loss of human resources can prevent the completion of a planned project — this happens all the time. But the innovations developed may still have tremendous value in their pieces. In the Kambria ecosystem, the pieces are monetized with the Kambria Token. In addition, contributed IP can be licensed to others in the community — often corporations who want to incorporate the IP in a larger solution. This can generate a sustained revenue stream for as long as it maintains its value.
This model enables a business partner to obtain expedient solutions for their complex technological problems at a much lower cost. Business partners who have manufacturing capabilities also have the opportunity to share their expertise and provide services to the entire Kambria community.
- Open the Kambria community to the business partners
- Invite members to learn about and join the Kambria community
- Share its knowledge of advanced technologies and development techniques
- Document Kambria state of the art technology and processes
- Assist business partners with setting up K-prizes to address technological problems
- Organize, oversee, and ensure the quality of the submissions
- Direct involvement with crypto-currency is not required
- Promote manufacturers to the Kambria Manufacturing Alliance
- Direct productions to business partners
- Assign attributions via the Kambria platform through its value capture protocol
- Ensured to be fair, transparent, and decentralized
- Keep partners appraised of its business and technical progress
- Semi-annual briefings
Business Partner will:
- Host K-prize challenges with various award-tiers
- Address technological roadblocks
- Provide expert services on the Kambria platform as applicable
- Manufacture and complete orders placed by community
- Promote Kambria’s unique development model to its members
- Ensure that people are aware of the new community
- Provide feedback to Kambria on new areas for focus
- Help concentrate Kambria on the areas that will provide the most value
Benefits to Business Partners:
- Obtain expedient solutions on complex technological roadblocks at a much lower cost
- Access to state of the art robotic technology that can be leveraged in the development of unique as yet undeveloped capabilities — focus on the new ideas, not the required complex technical foundations
- Access to a huge talent pool of developers worldwide
- Collaboration with top research entities worldwide
Benefits to Kambria:
- Creates awareness of Kambria across the world
- Kambria community becomes stronger with the participation of world-leading businesses
- Scientific feedback on how to make the platform better, stronger, more valuable
Current partners include: Toppan Printing Ltd. Co., Carnegie Mellon University, Stanford University.
The team is led by:
- Dr. Thuc Vu, AI and Game Theory: Stanford grad with several company acquisitions. His last company was acquired by Google.
- Jared Go, Robotics and Blockchain: Stanford Graduate Fellow.
- Tingxi Tan, Blockchain and Cloud Computing: Experienced architect of global cloud systems.
- Notable Advisors: Prof. Manuela Veloso of CMU, Simon Kim of Hashed, and Roger Lim of NEO Global Capital